How Much Should they EAT?
Every dog is different.
If you see the muscle wasting the weigh coming off—INCREASE +INCREASE +INCREASE.
You see, The protein stores of a senior dog turn over more rapidly than in younger dogs, and like humans, dogs can start to lose muscle mass as they age.
Extra protein supplies amino acids that help make up for that loss, and these keep aging pups stronger and more mobile.
Senior dog diets would therefore ideally have more than 75 grams of protein per 1,000 calories.
Many dogs need reduced Fiber -not a problem with Raw Fed – but watch if you are on Home cooked AN ABSOLUTELY PROCESSED because, fiber could prevent absorption.
You see fiber in veggies- can push the digestive process along and elderly need MORE time to absorb and process the nutrients. Some EXAMPLES of Nutrient Dense Meal for Puppy and Elder Dog:
Since we are talking about RAW- Home cooked and Processed, these are generalizations on content - use your own method.
These Guidelines are based on the information above. Puppy :
- 3-4 times a day
- *Remember they eat double to triple an adult dog GROWING!
- *Raw Fed eat the same on average as an Adult Dog
- Protein Source 1/2 Chicken or Turkey 1/2 and 1/2 Red Meat
- Veggie would make up a small portion a spoon or two- we do not want nutrients-pushed out before the needed vitamins are obtained .
- a Spoon of Organ MEAT - or a small slice of Liver treat.
* Bone is needed !! So if Home Cooking or Processed - consider a soft chicken neck treat or Aunt Lyn's Stop the Scoots Calcium Powder
food topper. ELDER :
- 3-4 times a day
- *Remember they eat double to obtain the Nutrients needed, as they cant absorb as well!
- Protein Source soft ground or chunks of meat bite size
- 1/2 Chicken or Turkey 1/2 and 1/2 Red Meat
- Veggie very limited- as the fiber pushes the food through the digestive track -faster and Elder need time to absorb.
- a Spoon or two of Organ MEAT - and a few small slices of Liver as a treat
Note: Overweight Elderly - Use Lower - Fat Lean - but for the most its keeping the weight on so High Fat.
* Bone is still needed by ALL!!
* Raw Fed - Move to Soft bones necks-feet-wings .
* Home Cooking or Processed - consider a soft chicken neck treat or Aunt Lyn's Stop the Scoots Calcium Powder food topper. Again real bone
- like in a chicken neck or Stop the Scoots Calcium- is the most absorbable and keeps the proper meat- bone ratio. How You Feed NOW- effect's the pup in later years and Elderly NOW.
We want to help prevent; ACL- Knee replacement- Back and joint Arthritis and osteoporosis NOW.
* Breed Specific or if a Mix Breed
go By the estimated Adult Size and what Breed DNA you may have- WE WANT TO SEE MEAT ON THEIR FRAME - THEIRS BONES COVERED- to allow for growth spurts without stressing the body. Further Reading Protein and Fiber